Mobile Operating Systems
“MOS” stands for “Mobile Operating Systems”, and is the Software that allows mobile devices to run applications and other programs. MOS typically applies to phones, tablets and other mobile devices like wearable technology. In this article some of the best Mobile Operating Systems are described.
Some of the Best Mobile Operating Systems are as follows:
- Apple iOS: Launched on June 29th 2007, it came packaged with the first iPhone and has been the OS for all iPhones since then. Apple has kept this OS a closely guarded proprietary system, and not allowed any other mobile manufacturers to lay their hands on it. The iOS has been continuously upgraded by Apple since its first appearance in 2007, but the full focus has always been on the performance rather than the looks. This is probably why the latest version, iOS 9, is very similar looks-wise to the first. It has a very user-friendly interface, and is universally recognized by Users as having one of the best performances of all OSs in the market. Till date iOS has been used by Apple in all its mobile devices such as iPods, iPads, and of course all iPhones.
- Android: Android is easily the most popular and universal of all mobile phone OSs. Google released the first Android OS, called ‘Astro’, on September 20th 2008. This was followed by upgraded versions which Google called ‘Bender’ and ‘Cupcake’. Then a whole series of Android upgrades were introduced for which Google used the trend of naming them after any dessert or sweet in alphabetical order. Thus, ‘Donut’ was followed by ‘Éclair’, which was again followed by ‘Froyo’. Next was ‘Gingerbread’, followed by’ Honeycomb’, then ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ and ‘Jelly Bean’. The latest Android version (Android 6.0) from Google is called ‘Marshmallow’. Unlike the iOS, which is a proprietary system and therefore closed, the Android platform is Open Source, being based on Linux. Vast numbers of Android apps are therefore created and released by non-proprietary developers. Android has always been appreciated for its beautiful appearance and superb performance. New features, many of them contributed indirectly by Google fans and outside developers, contributed to androids immense success. Embedded in the OS is the official app market containing millions of different apps for android devices, and called Google Play Store. Apart from iPhones, using iOS, most of the top mobile phones use Android. Among them are Apple iPhone’s main competitor Samsung Galaxy (Gio S3 and the latest S20), HTC, Motorola, Xiaomi, Oppo and so on.
- Blackberry OS: First released in 1999, Blackberry OS is owned by RIM (Research In Motion). Blackberry OS is again a Closed Source OS, not available to any other manufacturer. The interface uses a trackball for moving on the menu and a QWERTY keyboard. The latest version, Blackberry OS 7.1, was released in May 2011, and is used in Blackberry Bold 9930. Trustworthy and reliable, it protects against almost virus attacks.
- Windows OS: The Windows 7 OS was first released for most of the Microsoft backed Desktops. But then this proved very popular with Nokia mobile phones also, after Nokia and Microsoft joined hands to work together. Nokia’s powerful devices and the colorful and user-friendly interface of Windows 7 have made the Nokia Lumia Series undergo resurgence, with models like Nokia Lumia 800 and 900.
- Palm OS (Garnet OS): Palm OS is used for PDAs (Personal Digital Assistance). While very successful with PDAs from Lenovo, Legend Group, Kyocera, IBM and Janam, Palm OS was unable to make a mark on the mobile market. It is currently not in use in any of the latest top mobile devices.
- Open WebOS: Hewlett-Packard introduced Open WebOS in 2009, for use on HP Smart Phones and Tablets, such as the HP Touch Pad. But such was the popularity of Android over this OS, that HP was forced to discontinue this OS.
- BADA: BADA is owned by Samsung, and is a quiet User-friendly high performance OS, in the same mode as Android. But unfortunately, Samsung has used the latest version, BADA 2.0.5, only on their Wave Mobile Phones (Wave, Wave 2 and Wave 3). Picasa can also be used on BADA mobiles.